How is Surrogacy Done in Pennsylvania? A Complete Guide to the Surrogacy Process
Surrogacy is more than a legal process — and The Law Offices of Denise M. Bierly does more than provide legal services. We have created a smooth process that walks you through the entire surrogacy journey, connecting you with a gestational carrier, guiding you through contract negotiations, and more.
We understand that the surrogacy process can feel overwhelming at times, and we approach each surrogacy case with a personal, hands-on and involved approach. Our comprehensive surrogacy services include:
– explaining the gestational surrogacy process, laws, costs and more to help you determine whether this is the right way to grow your family.
– helping you find an appropriate surrogate to meet your family-building needs.
– preparing a legal contract to protect you and your baby throughout the surrogacy process.
– coordinating with the fertility clinic to schedule the medical surrogacy process.
– obtaining separate, independent legal representation for the gestational surrogate.
– processing the pre-birth order to ensure your names intend on the baby’s original birth certificate.
– coordinating with the hospital at birth to ensure the birth certificate and insurance are being handled properly.
– and more.
With The Law Offices of Denise M. Bierly, you can have a child through surrogacy. Here, learn more about the surrogacy process in Pennsylvania.
How Does Surrogacy Work in Pennsylvania?
Whether you are a single parent, same-sex couple, or hopeful parents who have struggled with infertility, surrogacy can be a wonderful way to add to your family and achieve your dreams of parenthood. But you are likely wondering, “How does gestational surrogacy work? What is the surrogacy process?”
While the process of surrogacy can be long and complicated at times, The Law Offices of Denise M. Bierly is committed to providing the services and guidance you need to ensure your family and baby are protected through each step of the way. We will be there to guide you through the entire surrogacy process, step by step:
– Learn more about surrogacy. Surrogacy requires a significant emotional, financial and time commitment, and the first step in any surrogacy process is to carefully consider whether it is the right choice for you. You can reach out to The Law Offices of Denise M. Bierly at any time to learn more about the Pennsylvania surrogacy process and further discuss your family-building goals.
– Find a surrogate. When you are ready to begin searching for a surrogacy opportunity, The Law Offices of Denise M. Bierly will provide the advertising and screening services you need to find a prospective surrogate who is safe, healthy, and ready to commit to the gestational surrogacy process. You will have an opportunity to get to know her through a conference call, scheduled and mediated by The Law Offices of Denise M. Bierly.
– Meet your surrogate. If your initial phone call with the surrogate goes well, she will complete some additional psychological screening to ensure she is emotionally prepared for surrogacy. Once she is cleared by a mental health professional, The Law Offices of Denise M. Bierly will facilitate a meal with you and the surrogate to allow you to get to know one another better. If everyone is still comfortable moving forward, the surrogate can then complete the final steps of the medical screening process, and it will be time to move forward with the legal and medical procedures for surrogacy.
– Draft legal contracts. Once the gestational surrogate has been approved as an appropriate carrier who is healthy and ready for the surrogacy process, The Law Offices of Denise M. Bierly can represent you in drafting the legal surrogacy contract. Your contract will include important information about each party’s role, responsibilities and relationship to the child, surrogate compensation, and more. The Law Offices of Denise M. Bierly will solely represent you during this contract negotiation process; the surrogate will be referred to separate legal counsel. Once the contract has been negotiated and signed, you can begin the medical surrogacy procedure.
– Begin the medical process. The surrogate will work closely with your fertility clinic to complete the medical surrogacy process, which includes fertility treatments, in vitro fertilization, an embryo transfer, and several medical tests and appointments to ensure the best chance of a successful pregnancy. Depending on your agreement with the surrogate, you will likely have opportunities to attend some of these key appointments and share in her pregnancy experience.
– Finalize the legal process. During the fifth month of pregnancy, The Law Offices of Denise M. Bierly will begin the process to obtain a pre-birth order, which ensures the names of the intended parents are placed on the baby’s original birth certificate. We will coordinate with the Pennsylvania Department of Health and arrange a court hearing to obtain a court order on parentage. With the pre-birth order in place, you will be ready to welcome your baby at the hospital, make medical decisions for him or her, and take custody following birth.
– Meet your baby. After a long legal, medical and emotional surrogacy journey, it will finally be time to welcome your baby into the world. Most intended parents are able to join the surrogate at the hospital for this exciting experience, and your attorney may also be present to help ensure hospital procedures go smoothly. When your baby is born and the surrogate is discharged from the hospital, you can return home with the newest addition to your family, forever connected to the woman who was such an important part of your child’s story. You may choose to keep in touch with each other through the years, and The Law Offices of Denise M. Bierly will continue to be available to answer your questions as they arise.
At The Law Offices of Denise M. Bierly, our goal through every step of the surrogacy process is to create certainty and safety for your child, and to ensure your surrogacy experience is as joyful and rewarding as possible. If you are interested in learning more about how surrogacy works in Pennsylvania, or if you are ready to begin the process, please contact The Law Offices of Denise M. Bierly today to schedule a consultation.