Can My Husband, Partner or Boyfriend Adopt My Child in PA?

Stepparent adoptions in Pennsylvania are a wonderful way to legalize an existing parent-child relationship. As the makeup of the American family changes, adopting a stepchild has become more common and is an option for many stepparents and their spouses.

It’s not uncommon for people to ask us, “Can my husband adopt my child in Pennsylvania?” In most cases, the answer is yes. By completing the necessary legal steps of a stepparent adoption, you can grant your child’s stepfather all the legal rights and responsibilities of parenting.  And the adoption attorney at The Law Offices of Denise M. Bierly can always help.

If you’re thinking, “I want my husband to adopt my daughter or son,” please contact our law firm today at 814-237-7900. An experienced adoption attorney is necessary to complete a stepparent adoption in Pennsylvania, and our professionals will guide you through every step of this process.

“How Can My Husband Adopt My Daughter or Son?”

Perhaps the most common questions regarding a stepparent adoption in Pennsylvania are “Can my husband adopt my child?” and “How can my husband adopt my daughter or son?” The adoption attorney at The Law Offices of Denise M. Bierly can answer these questions and more when you choose to work with us to complete your Pennsylvania stepparent adoption.

When stepfathers are taking on full day-to-day responsibilities of a child they are raising with their spouse, it’s normal to want to legalize that relationship and protect their parental rights, as well as the child’s rights to inheritance and other benefits. When stepparents in this situation choose to complete a stepparent adoption, they will subsequently terminate the rights of the child’s noncustodial parent and take on those rights and responsibilities themselves.

Your adoption attorney will discuss your situation with you to determine whether a stepparent adoption is possible in your circumstances and, if so, help you move forward with the necessary legal processes.

If you and your spouse choose to complete a stepparent adoption, there are certain steps required:

  1. Contact an adoption attorney at The Law Offices of Denise M. Bierly to get started.
  2. Gather necessary paperwork and obtain parental consents.
  3. Submit a stepparent adoption petition.
  4. Attend a finalization hearing.

Your adoption attorney will guide you through every step of this process, answering any questions you have along the way like, “Can my new husband adopt my daughter or son?” They will also assist you through complicated situations like a stepparent adoption without consent. As long as you meet the legal requirements for a stepparent adoption in Pennsylvania, your husband can adopt your child through this process.

“How Can My Partner Adopt My Child as an LGBT Parent?”

Sometimes, same-sex couples are unable to adopt jointly, or one member adopts a child before meeting the other. If you’re in this situation, you may wonder, “Can my partner adopt my son or daughter?”

There are generally two paths for LGBT individuals to adopt a spouse’s child that they are not related to. If you and your partner are married, you two can complete a stepparent adoption like any other married couple, with the same legal steps and requirements. The attorney at The Law Offices of Denise M. Bierly provides equal representation for all parents looking to adopt, regardless of sexual orientation.

If you are unmarried, you also have the option of a second-parent adoption in Pennsylvania. This kind of adoption allows for unmarried couples to adopt a child jointly and has been a popular option for unmarried LGBT couples, as well as unmarried heterosexual couples. Same-sex individuals can also use a second-parent adoption to establish their parental rights in an assisted reproductive technology process if they are not biologically related to their child.

We advise you speak to an experienced adoption attorney before pursuing this kind of adoption, as the requirements for a second-parent adoption may be different from a stepparent adoption in Pennsylvania. Your adoption attorney will help you proceed with the adoption process that’s best for you.

No matter your situation, if you’re asking, “How can my partner adopt my child in Pennsylvania?” you should speak to an adoption attorney to learn more about which options are available for your personal circumstances.

“Can My Boyfriend Adopt My Son or Daughter?”

Other unmarried parents ask us, “My boyfriend wants to adopt my child in Pennsylvania — is that possible?”

The answer is yes. In 2002, the Pennsylvania Supreme Court ruled that couples could adopt jointly regardless of marital status. This ruling made second-parent adoptions available to unmarried couples of all sexual orientation, so it certainly may be possible for your boyfriend to adopt your child today. Your adoption attorney will inform you of any particular adoption requirements you must meet for this process, including obtaining adoption consent from your child’s noncustodial parent.

If you’re asking, “Can my boyfriend adopt my son or daughter?” we encourage you to speak to our adoption professionals to learn what options are available to you. When you’re ready to start your second-parent adoption, our adoption attorney can help you through the necessary legal process.

Start Your Stepparent Adoption in PA Today

Remember, whether you choose to complete a married stepparent adoption or an unmarried second-parent adoption in Pennsylvania, your child’s noncustodial parent will need to have their parental rights terminated before an adoption can be finalized. Your adoption attorney can help you through this process, but it’s an important consideration before pursuing these kinds of adoption, especially if your child’s noncustodial parent is still involved in their lives.

Another consideration is your child’s consent to the adoption. If your child is 12 years of age or older, they will need to consent to the adoption by their stepfather. It’s important to speak with your child about a potential adoption process to understand their thoughts and feelings about the adoption before starting. By taking his or her opinion into account before moving forward and gaining his or her express consent, you will likely have a more positive experience with your spouse adopting your child in Pennsylvania.

For more information about how your husband, partner or boyfriend can adopt your child in Pennsylvania, please contact our experienced adoption attorney today at 814-237-7900.

Get Free InfoCall Us Today Get Free Info